LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Los Angeles police confirmed Wednesday they have opened a criminal investigation into actor Charlie Sheen.
Police would not provide details of the probe or confirm reports that it focuses on his former fiancee, Scottine Ross.
LAPD Officer Mike Lopez said the department’s Van Nuys division took a threat report involving Sheen last Thursday, and “threat management” detectives were handling the case.
Lopez said investigators obtained a search warrant, but he declined to identify the alleged victim and has no additional information about the case.
Lopez did not specify where the warrant was served, but the website RadarOnline.com reported its senior editors in New York were served with a warrant by the LAPD on Tuesday. The warrant stemmed from recent articles about an alleged audio tape in which the former “Two and a Half Men” star admits he lied to a sex partner about being HIV-positive, according to Radar, which reported that the warrant names Ross, also known as Brett Rossi, as the alleged victim.
Ross sued Sheen in December, alleging he never told her he was HIV positive during their relationship. Sheen’s attorneys countered that Ross was aware of the actor’s HIV, but insisted on having unprotected sex with him anyway, noting that as a former porn star, Ross “has had hundreds, if not thousands, of sexual partners,” and routinely exposed herself to potential sexually transmitted diseases.
The lawsuit is now in arbitration.
Radar and other media outlets reported recently that Ross went to police in Van Nuys last week about alleged threats made by Sheen, and that Ross was granted an emergency protection order.